Reaching success, regardless of the industry you choose, takes hard work, persistence, and a strong belief in oneself. Take it from Jade Naraine.
Jade is a singer/songwriter from Canada who always dreamed of being a singer. Her passion comes from a desire to spend everyday doing the one thing that makes her feel most alive.
TML: The entertainment industry can be pretty difficult, what are your Top 7 tips to Making it in Hollywood?
1) Listen to your experienced managers, producers, and directors. Learn from the people who have experience, good or bad. They can pass on what worked for them to you and share what not to do, based on what didn’t work for them. Then, it’s important to listen and decide if it also makes sense for you.
2) Practice. You should practice your vocals at many practice shows. Your voice box is like a muscle and its important that you are exercising it daily.
3) Rehearse your live shows. Rehearsing live shows can only make things look cleaner, tighter (with your band or dancers), and make things run smoothly on stage (which the industry loves). The industry frowns on messy, lose, live shows.
4) Write your own songs. I know some artists don’t know how to write their own songs. I have written for many talented singers. But do your best [to write]. Writing your own songs can help in many ways early on:
- You won’t have to split payment for royalties
- You will get to keep your money
- You won’t have to buy songs or split ownerships
- You will be credited as a real artist
- When you get interest from major labels you will have something to offer them
- You will have ideas to build on in writing sessions
5) Get financing. Money is very important. Early on in today’s music industry its important to finance your own career before a major label will. You need to get to a place where you will appear lucrative to bigger investors. To do this, money is needed!
6) Stay focused. You have your whole life ahead of you. Especially if you are a female artist, you need to be focusing in your teens. Instead of going out with friends you should be working on your career, There is always something you can do to move forward each day.
7) Don’t be emotional about music and watch your idols. We all know musicians who are very emotional about their art. Their songs are not radio friendly tracks. If you want to do well you need to adapt and be passionate about lots of music styles. Watch your idols how they present themselves in interviews and as singers, watch for their mistakes, watch for their strengths, watch how they entertain an audience, know the better ones from the average ones. Always aim to be the best and if you fall a bit short, you will still be above average 😉
What inspires your passion for music?
I really love the sound of every musical instrument and loved the catchy melodies I would hear on the radio [when I was] really young. I found pop singers fascinating.
I loved watching singers and it made me want to be able to entertain and inspire people. I just think music is the most amazing thing in the world. I love that music can make you feel any emotion.
How have you been able to push through so many obstacles and launch a career on your own?
At first, I didn’t know what to do. It was a really bad time in my life where nothing was going my way. It was really hard, seemingly impossible. I realized early on … you have to decide how much you want something in life and always put that first. I tried very hard to show my music to people and get them interested. It really takes a team of people. A young artist can never do it all on her own.
4) Was there a special guy who inspired your single “Cause I Can’t Take Missing You”?
Um, kind of. I don’t know. I kind of just write generally. It could be a mix of a few things. I definitely had a guy in mind when I wrote it. Yes 🙂
5) What do you have in your purse right now?
In my purse right now I have flats, makeup, a hairbrush, candy, water, my lap top, wallet, keys, phone, deodorant, hand sanitizer and hair shine moisturizing spray haha
6) In addition to Christina Aguilera, who are some other musical artists who inspire you?
In addition to Christina, I love Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Katy Perry, Jojo and Mariah Carey. They have always been big favourites. I love Taylor’s writing style, and all of these girls are amazing!
7) Where can we see you perform next?
My next upcoming shows are in Asia, Los Angeles, NYC, Europe and Toronto. Just keep posted on my website. www.jadenaraine.com for details and exact dates! New dates are posted all the time.
Let us know what you think of Jade’s hit single, Cause I Can’t Take Missing You, as well as her fabulous advice below! If you are in Canada on Friday, May 29th, check her out at the I am a Girl Benefit. Buy tickets here.
Follow me @iamRachelMcCord for giveaways and silliness on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Vine.